Tuesday, December 27, 2005

Insights...

So, I could never figure out why some people never had the desire to return to countries that they had visited. I have several friends with the 'been there, done that' mentatily and I always thought they were nuts... who wouldn't want to return to the amazing places that they had visited? I was so excited to return to Switzerland, and since this was the first time that I was able to return to a country previously visited, I was curious to see my reaction. I have since discovered that I may indeed be one of those with the 'been there, done that' mentality. I have enjoyed being able to return, since this place is somewhat familiar to me and I have been able to be fairly independant upon my return, but I find that the 'enchantment' that this place once had for me, is gone. I suppose that I have realized that it is just another place in the world, however beautiful it may be, with problems similar to ours and with people that have the same struggles. The Swiss are a peculiar people. They are, for the most part, extremely punctual... I can catch a train or bus at the exact minute that the schedule states. A far cry from the transit system in Peterborough! This, Bill pointed out once, can make life very stressful and regimented for the people here. Every minute is accounted for and productive. There are not many lazy people. Even the ones that don't work are busy doing something. And, therefore, a lack of spontinaity in activities or outtings to reduced stress. So far this type of stress I have yet to experience, probably because I have no boss to answer to. Or the one that I do answer to ie. Gina, is half Italian, so she does not conform to any of the norms that Swiss people possess.
And secretly, I absolutely love the fact that the trains and buses arrive right on time!
So, those are my thoughts for the day. However scattered they may seem. I think that I would return to Switzerland again if I found myself in the vicinity. If only to have a short visit with the few that I hold close to my heart here. But, alas, I wish to see more of the world... and not the same old thing over and over again. You can only see so many castles before they all start looking the same!

3 Comments:

At 5:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

yo bev, i hope i talk to you soon.love erin

 
At 11:27 PM, Blogger Jon Barrett said...

You are basically smack dab in the middle of Europe. You can go any direction that you please and find something new and exciting. The possibilities are limitless.

 
At 6:53 AM, Blogger Bev said...

Did you get my email, Er?
Thanks Jon... I'll keep that in mind! Possiblities may be endless but my pocket book isn't!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home