Thursday, December 15, 2005

Time waits for no man...

(Can anyone tell me where that saying is from? Popped into my head the other day and I can't figure out who said it. Perhaps the wise and all knowing Professor Dan might have the slightest clue...)
...and I think I missed the bus! I've been a day behind all week. Don't you hate that feeling? I come to Thursday today and was thinking it was Wed. and then boom, it's gonna be the weekend tomorrow! It's also a nice feeling to think that the time here isn't dragging on.
So, I've been super lonely the last little while but the feeling lifted today. I have a sense of this being home (for the time being... not living here forever folks... no worries mom and dad!). In part I wonder if the loneliness stemmed from not having a 'real' job to do here. I just kinda putter around the house, sometimes tackling big jobs, like trying to organize and clean the kitchen... 5 hours and 3 black garbage bags later... I still haven't completely finished. I do general cleaning and make lunch and supper most days, too. I'm also a companion for Gina so I go with her to friends houses, and sit and stare at the walls for hours!!! It's alright though... I love checking out other ppls places and getting ideas for spaces, decorating ideas, etc. Also, you get to learn a bit of culture, so it's cool.
Friendly reminder to anyone who tries to call... I AM 6 HOURS AHEAD OF YOU!! Got a call the other night from a well meaning friend back in Ont and she called in the evening... which a normal thing to do, right? Well, it was 3am where I was so it was a little disturbing to say the least... esp. for Gina who answered the phone! Good times, good times!
Anyways, promised deep thoughts...
I've trying to follow along with C&C Sunday school's study in Ecclesiastes (Rich can you send this past week's notes and this Sun as well? Danke!). Pretty great contrasting wisdom and folly and the futility of life without God. Because it is TOTALLY pointless and far less enjoyable without God. Well, I've also been studying in I Sam. It's so fascinating because this book fits so well along side Ecc. Comparing first Eli to Samuel, then Saul to David and also Jonathan. I'm really getting into it! I'll share one passage in particular... in chap 15, Saul was commanded to completely destroy the Amalekites, and in true Israelite form, disobeys God's command, and saves the king (for some reason) and some of the best animals (for sacrifice... or so he says!). Now when he saves the animals, I can just see the dumb look he has on his face when Samuel confronts him, 'Duh, isn't this great, Sam? Now we can make some sacrifices for the victory!' Then, after Samuek rebukes him he has the audacity to say, 'But, Sammy, I did what God said!' (I took the liberty for scribbling IDIOT in the margin of my Bible at this point.) Later Saul offers a rather weak confession and I'm doubting it's sincerity, Samuel finishes the dirty work of utterly destroying the Amalekites (kills the king). It's a very cool read... check it out sometime. But as I contemplate what this means for me, I can't help but wonder how often I do the same thing. When I recieve instruction from the Lord, do I follow His Word whole heartedly and to the word, or do I simply do the parts that I want, that are easy, that are the most profitable for me? Am I as dumb as Saul, sometimes...
Praise the Lord for God's grace, eh?!

3 Comments:

At 11:20 PM, Blogger shauna marie said...

ahh...C&C sunday school classes. Miss them!! Can't wait to move to Cali to join a church and get involved in Bible studies!! I MISS IT SOOOOOOOO MUCH!!love ya' Bev!

 
At 1:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I MISS YOU I STILL WANT YOU BACK HERE....PLEASE COME HOME!!!
PS,HOW IS EUROPE FOR CHRISTMAS ANYWAYS? DID YOU GET A TREE?
LOVE ERIN

 
At 4:27 PM, Blogger Bev said...

Europe is lonely for Christmas without you Erin!!! DonĀ“t have tree yet, but hopefully soon!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home