Sunday, January 08, 2006

The awful fate of Melpomene Jones

Melpomene: (Greek Mythology) The muse of tragedy.
This was one of my favorite essays in high school. It's all about civilities in proper society. Mr. Jones' awful fate is that, in having to be polite, he never leaves his guests' house and as a result becomes an old man there and dies. The conversations go some thing like this:
What a lovely dinner, Mrs. ---!
Why thank you, Mr. Jones.
Well, I must be going now.
Oh no! Please not yet, have another cup of tea.
Well then, if you insist, I think I can stay a little longer.
My good sir, it is getting far too late, you must stay the night.
All right then, but I must leave first thing in the morning.
He is content to stay for a little while but then it becomes tiring to be at someone else's house for so long. The great part of it, is that Jones really wants to go and his hostess really wants him to leave but in trying to be polite and a good hostess, the situation becomes quite ridiculous and laughable.
This story came to mind because I'm reading Pride and Prejudice and it had many similar situations in it. All the civilities that come along with travelling in the circles of high society... makes me glad that I'm a country girl at heart!!! I don't have to be so polite, I can just plead ignorance and kick everybody out of the house when I feel that the party is over!

7 Comments:

At 11:32 AM, Blogger nathan said...

hey... Celeste and I are looking forward to seeing that movie... haven't read the book though..
BTW we are all coming to Halifax to get you.... we were talking about it at Wendy's last night i think like 6 or 7 of us are taking the trip... will be fun.

 
At 11:59 AM, Blogger The Book Worm said...

Are you counting down the days yet?

 
At 3:42 PM, Blogger Bev said...

13 MORE SLEEPS!!!

 
At 11:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello you don't know me i was looking up a friends blog when I came accross yours. I couldn't help my self from reading some of your entries. You seem like a very adventures type. I have traveled some myself threw out Europe. It has some beautiful Countries. Anyways I should go. Pleasure to have written to you Bev. I hope I didn't wierd you out. If it is ok maybe i can write back another day.

 
At 8:22 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your story about Melpomene reminded me about how we all feel at the Clarke residence on TV night when you come over. It's like "Will she ever leave? If she says 'pants' one more time, I'm gonna...."
We know we can't force you out, but really, we're all thinking it.

By the way, Lost starts tonight? Do they have that over there? Is there subtitles?
Danno

 
At 10:18 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

We are all couting down the days till Bev comes home she is way cool till then Bev
:)

guess what it is my b-day and it is friday the 13th a full moon he he he he

 
At 2:56 PM, Blogger Bev said...

Nice to have 'met' you Luke... feel free to comment again!
Dan... give me strength! And, just so you know, Mr. Spelling- PANTS, you spelled 'Clark' wrong. Please, in the future when referring to ours friends with the baby use Clark and when referring to me use Clarke!
Kinda creepy Noel... try not to get hit by a car or something!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home